Sunday 26 March 2017

Glossy Ibis, Ely

I was able to go to Ely this afternoon for a couple of hours to see if I could spot and photograph a Glossy Ibis which is there much of the time but not all the time.   I'm not sure what the meadow is called - it's between Ely Country Park and the Great Ouse and the Ibis keeps its distance!   Lovely to see nevertheless.   There were several species of bird on this waterlogged meadow so a great pleasure to see the Ibis, a Snipe and a Black-Headed Gull (still in winter plummage) in a single frame..

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Excellent three-bird picture - a rare juxtaposition, I imagine. The ibis was not looking so glossy, but I guess it was rather out of its comfort zone, southern Europe. Apparently an increasingly frequent visitor and removed from the UK list of rarities in 2013; and in 2014 a pair attempted to breed at Frampton Marshes RSPB Reserve.

Sue B-H said...

A couple of years ago a Glossy Ibis was seen on Wicken Fen, and without knowing if this is the same bird, this area appears to have something to commend it to Glossy Ibises/Ibi. I was very pleased to see it and photograph it. I wonder if it will be joined by a mate.......

Brian Human said...

That would be exciting. Feel I ought to get to Ely - Glossy Ibis is not on my life list.