Wednesday 15 October 2014

West Mere, Wicken Fen

A couple of days ago I saw a Glossy Ibis for the first time and have included a couple of images below - but they are not good.   I went back to West Mere Hide again this morning in the hope that I might just see it without reeds between the Hide and me.   It wasn't going to show itself at all!




 I saw behaviour in a Black Headed  Gull (BHG) I hadn't seen before - it catching a fish which also attracted the attention of another BHG.   A quick bit of research suggests that BHG rarely catch fish, and if they do, the fish is either dead (which I don't think this one was) or it is a sick fish.   As to what sort of fish it is I wouldn't venture to guess!



 Any suggestions as to the identification of the duck would be appreciated.





















Quite a sizeable splash for quite a small duck!



No comments: