Friday 12 February 2021

Long Tailed Tits in the Snow

 I've recently installed a new bird feeder and was very pleased to see birds starting to use it pretty quickly.   I've rarely bought coconuts filled with a fat ball mix, so both these features were graced by Long Tailed Tits on 8 February, within days and in the snow.   There must have been about 8 birds in the group that visited the feeder but it wasn't possible to capture them all at onece.   Social distancing isn't a consideration for these birds until such time as they pair off in the summer.



2 comments:

Brianhuman said...

Hi Sue,
A good selection of birds.

I'd heard there were whoopers at Cottenham, but didn't know they were after sugar beet remains.

Just one long-tailed tit here on Thursday - can't begin to match your gaggle; frequent visits from coal tits and a blackcap occasionally on fat balls and seeds. Have seen a red kite in the distance from my study window.

Brian

Sue B-H said...

So long has been my delay in responding to this comment that I think the Long Tailed Tits are on the point of pairing off!