Sunday 24 June 2018

UK Swift Awareness Week

Yesterday was the last day of a Week of Action for Swifts and I joined others in Landbeach to hear more about the bird, its migration routes from Africa, and its nesting needs.   All too many of their nesting sites in old buildings have been knocked down so it is very important we put up nesting boxes, internal and/or external.   I shall certainly ask Dick Newell to assess whether there is a suitable site(s) here at home for some external nest box(es).   One of the means of attracting Swifts is to play back their call on a recorder - but I haven't checked that out with neighbours yet.


2 comments:

brianhuman said...

Always fascinated by swifts. Extraordinary picture - taken where? I shall be interested to hear what he says about as possible swift box at ISAS.

Sue B-H said...

This particular nest box is one of about 6 on a house in Landbeach. Yes, I shall be interested to hear whether the flight way(s) is clear enough on this bungalow.