Monday 13 February 2017

Waxwings - Milton Road, Cambridge

A friend called round today and kindly told me of the Waxwings which have been feeding off berries and hips at the Milton Road end of the guided bus route.   It was a perfect light to see my first Waxwings and then get to see the challenges of photographing these birds.   If they are not flying around in flocks of up to 15, as on this occasion, they are seeking out food in thick thickets making photographs very 'busy'.   However, I'm thrilled to have seen them and thoroughly enjoyed an hour watching them feeding themselves, and on occasion offering food to another bird.   I can only assume this is part of the courtship ritual and delighted to have seen it.



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

DaveW told me they had been seen there, but I haven't been able to visit. Well done for catching then and getting excellent pictures. I wonder how much longer they will be around given that the weather is supposed to be getting milder.

Sue B-H said...

Hard to tell how much longer the Waxwings might be visiting that site. They were taking rose hips and there are still plenty there even though I don't think hips are necessarily a favourite food.

Caroline Gill said...

What excellent photos. We saw a group of nine over here in Suffolk a few weeks ago, but in the late afternoon on a very dark day. This was only my second sighting, and my first, a couple of years ago at Minsmere, had been under similar conditions. Stunning birds.

Sue B-H said...

Caroline, you seem to be a faithful viewer of this blog - thank you! Isn't it exciting seeing Waxwings? Up until now they were always birds others had seen and photographed, but now..... I can well imagine how special it would have been to see Waxwings at Minsmere. Stunning birds indeed.