Sunday 26 February 2017

North Wales 8 February

A few days staying on Anglesey and enjoying North Wales was a welcomed break.   On the Wednesday we left a car at the bottom of the Ogwen Valley and took our bikes up to Ogwen Cottage in the Joneses' van and cycled down using the 'old' road on the opposite side of the valley from the now main road.   I bought a new bike last year and it hadn't experienced any hills until this trip - something of a baptism!   The first three photographs were taken on the bike ride and the last two were taken from Anglesey, looking across the Menai Straits.   We cycled past plenty of discarded slate for which there doesn't appear to be a use.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's good to see some of what you have spoken about. Such dramatic landscape - even the great Fen skies don't compensate sufficiently for the lack of strong physical features here. But it makes one work harder photographically.

I like the mix of monochrome and colour - shows that both can be appropriate and effective. My favourite is the sunburst over the hill, the way it brings out the character of the blocks of slate is wonderful. I think I see something of the work of Sebastiao Salgado in the lighting and the tones you've captured. I'd like to see a good full-tone print of it.

Sue B-H said...

The days in North Wales were very varied and I've been wondering if I have enough photographs to consider putting even a slim book together. I hadn't thought to print the slate one! I'll see if there is sufficient detail there. Thanks for the prompt.