Friday 17 July 2020

Swifts in the Garden

Last year I had two Swift boxes installed on the chimney breast, and also have an MP3 player with Swift sounds on it.   The sounds play during daylight hours to attract Swifts to look at the nesting boxes.   Absolutely nothing happened last year and I had been warned by Dick Newell that Swifts choose a long straight flight to the boxes, and I don't have that for them!

Imagine my absolute joy when today I've had several Swifts prospecting!!   I think I counted up to 5 at any one time and these are the images I was able to take first thing.   I also saw a Swift exiting from a nesting hole three times - but of course don't know whether it was the same Swift.

If they think this is a 'des res' there will be more postings, of that I can be sure!


No comments: