Monday 15 May 2017

Wiltshire 9 May

I had a few days away near Cheltenham and on my way home stayed a night in Devizes.   Just before reaching Devizes I visited a small nature reserve on Morgan's Hill, near Cherhill.   An enthusiastic photographer was also there and between us we found a Chalkhill Blue Butterfly and at least one type of Orchid.   I'm pretty sure one is a Pyramidal Orchid but I'm not sure the one with spots on it is the same.   It seems too dark for a Common Spotted Orchid though.   Perhaps someone will tell me........   There might even be three different Orchids!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure any of these is a Pyramidal Orchid - I don't think the shapes are precise enough. Comparing with pictures in my books doesn't help very much, but I wonder if the first one is an Early Purple Orchid.

Nice pics evocative of hills and chalk downland so missing here.