Saturday 26 November 2016

Beechwoods I


I paid my first visit to the Beechwoods on the south side of Cambridge last Saturday and the conditions for enjoying the woods were near perfect.   The overnight frost was still in evidence and then the sun started to rise and cast a wonderfully warm colour on the tops of the Beech trees.   I went again this morning and the light and weather were different and the posting will appear soon.......

I spent much of my childhood in Gloucestershire where Beechwoods were around home.   It was lovely to be reminded of the characteristics of a Beechwood this autumn - the range of beautiful coloured leaves from yellow through orange to brown;  many tall straight tree trunks like pillars in a church nave;  the occasional young branch shooting off a trunk;  a litter of fallen leaves to be scuffed into the air and the tracery of branches from which the leaves had fallen.   There seems to be just one large hollow amongst the trees and I've no idea why such hollows occur.
 

No comments: