Tuesday 22 July 2014

Birds at Clayhithe


Although I haven't yet posted earlier photographs of Great Crested Grebes with three chicks on their back, today it was reassuring today to see that all three chicks are doing well and no longer getting a lift on a parent bird.   Although I didn't see parents feeding chicks, they were behaving as though they were expecting a parent bird to produce some food.   The image below is of the family group busy preening at the beginning of the day.

I think some Common Terns must have bred near Clayhithe as there were 8 Common Terns on the wing at one point.   The young birds no longer look different from the adult birds so they may leave the area before too long.

I think the wagtail is a young Pied Wagtail although I have seen Grey Wagtails on this stretch of the river in the past.   A Heron in flight is always worth a click!



No comments: